Ants in My Pants
Thursday, May 12, 2005
Thoughts of the day
See, I found this thought of the day link, and some of the quotes are pretty good, like the one I posted the other day. But I was looking at their quotes for this month, and I can't help but think of Bush when I read some of them. And his monumental failings as a leader. For example:
Us vs Them mentality "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." - H.L. Mencken
Mission Accomplished "There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning." - Louis L'Amou
Gosh, no, I can't think of any policy mistakes I've made "Only a mediocre person is always at his best." - W. Somerset Maugham
I wrote yesterday that I was feeling cynical this week. I suppose that's not exactly true. I am in a bad mood this week (though I'll get over it), but in general I feel cynical when I'm here in the US and read about all the failures of this current government.
Paul Vitello writes a column in Newsday and, while I don't always agree with him, a lot of times he'll address issues that are important and should be addressed. See this link about Pat Buchanan's recent comments on WWII: Buchanan's view ignores the victims Another interesting article about WWII and Yalta: What's Yalta Got to Do With It?
What else do I want to point out today...oh, an article I read yesterday, from Newsweek, about an eco-architect. His arguments that industry that doesn't harm the environment can be efficient and productive and good for the economy are an interesting read.... Designing the Future
Stuff about the "war" in Iraq: A Deadly Guessing Game. And Body Counts
My own side comment: on issues with this administration, I end up thinking like the character Andy Dufresne in Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption, when confronted with the warden's refusal to acknowledge new evidence of his innocence: "How can you be so OBTUSE?!"
On the lighter side:
Fiction report: I just finished reading 7th and final book in Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. JoeBob says, check it out. Well, I would say first read the other 6.
Now I'm reading Philip Roth's The Plot Against America, which actually ties in with those idiotic comments of Buchanan: it's a story of a Jewish boy in America whose life is changed when, instead of electing FDR to a 3rd term, the US elects an isolationist, pro-Nazi, Charles Lindbergh.
And recently I read Michener's The Source, must be 30 years old, pretty interesting fiction tracing the history of what's now Israel. Seems to me it points out some of the pros, and cons, of paganism, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, all.
I'm looking forward to reading the new Kinky Friedman mystery I got out, and Eco's Baudolino.
Comments:
Post a Comment
