Ants in My Pants
Tuesday, May 24, 2005
Reading
Just about finished with the Umberto Eco book Baudolino.
Without going to detail on the book, one thing I found interesting: one of the notions a character puts forth is that if you talk about something, then it becomes real. Not a new idea of his, I remember it being something I thought about when reading Foucault's Pendulum. Also when reading Pynchon's V. An object, facts, a conspiracy, whatever.
Almost helps explain the current US Administration's policy, they've as much as admitted that they ignore the facts and make up their own reality. Fine when you're a character in a novel...but maybe not so fine when it leads to people's deaths?
See Ben's comment from yesterday, makes me wonder: is on-line dating a reality because it was first a speculative fiction?
A Couple of Favorite Websites of Late
I find Refdesk to have some very cool and varied links, good for research, or goofing around, or looking at a volcano (believe it or not, it's almost suspenseful on a clear day)
I also like the Lonely Planet website, though for myself I usually just use it to check out the Thorn Tree (message boards) and occasionally post a (hopefully) helpful reply to a traveller question.
Comments:
the character in the novel's motives were more that of a loyal dog always trying to please his master(s) . . . and hence causing a series of events based on good intentions (who says what's 'good'?).
the difference with the current US administration is that it IS the master. who were they trying to 'please'?
Post a Comment
the difference with the current US administration is that it IS the master. who were they trying to 'please'?

